Winter Recipe: Banana Split Oatmeal
A winter recipe caregivers can make for their patients.
Maintaining good nutrition during the winter can boost immunity and help provide seniors with much-needed nutrients to ward off ailments that often come with this season. A healthy immune system can help fight the germs that cause colds and the flu and even help prevent infection. Preparing healthy recipes that are easy for seniors to eat can help keep seniors healthy during the winter. Here are three recipes to prepare and enjoy.
This fun spin on a classic takes oats and makes them a little more enjoyable with the addition of sliced bananas and frozen yogurt. It’s easy to prepare as a meal or a snack. Makes one serving.
• ¹⁄₃ cup oatmeal (dry, quick-cooking)
• ¹⁄₈ teaspoon salt
• ¾ cup hot water
• ½ sliced banana
• ½cup non-fat frozen yogurt
1. In a microwave safe bowl, mix together oatmeal and salt. Stir in water.
2. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on high for another minute. Stir again.
3. Microwave an additional 30-60 seconds on high until the cereal reaches the desired thickness. Stir again.
4. Top with banana slices and frozen yogurt.
• Add sliced nuts and/or dried fruit.
• Instead of banana, use sliced apples and cinnamon.
Recipe and text taken from "Winter Nutrition" from Clearcareonline.com.